Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Barney wrote:
Be grateful for some help with a problem that I/we have. My daughter is
off to the US soon and she wants to take some of her electrical
appliances with her - laptop, hairdryer, etc - and we have no idea of
what will work over there. Am I right in my belief that the supply is
120 Vac at 60Hz? The laptop power supply states that it will cope with
any input from 100V to 240Vac, so that will probably be ok, but I was
wondering about the rest - and also about the appliance plugs, are the
UK/US ones compatible, and if not what sort of adaptor is required? Any
advice/information on this topic would be ver much appreciated.

Many things you might travel with - laptop, hairdrier, toothbrush, etc may
already be multi-voltage. Check the label.

Other appliances will need a step-up transformer to work from 110v, and
these would be expensive for a moderate current appliance, so best to
leave at home and replace in the US.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW