Andy Dingley wrote:
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:39:40 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

BTW, it is very important the rope used for this has virtually no
elasticity,

Just don't use rope for winching - steel cable.

The thing that worries me here is so many people talking about taking
Leylandii down from halfway up. Ever climbed one ?

Yes, those were my thoughts too.

We've felled some quite substantial Leylandii (18" or more trunks)
around our house but we're in the fortunate position of having lots of
space so that we just felled the whole thing in one go with no risk of
hitting anything important (except ourselves). Thus all we needed to
do was rope the trees to ensire they fell the way we wanted and make
*very* sure no one was in the vicinity when the tree actually dropped.

Using a chainsaw while half way up a tree is a *very* skilled/dangerous
occupation and is something I don't think I'm ever going to attempt
even though I've felled trees etc. with a chainsaw.

--
Chris Green