Andrew Gabriel

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:18:01 +0100, Capitol
wrote:
Hi. Her new washing machine -Whirlpool turns out to be singularly poor
in washing performance. Having been forced to endure the local noise, I
decided to try to see what was actually happening when this machine
actually washed. The first design disaster was that the softener
containing tray empties when the tray is pushed in. This is due to the
plastic jumping rather than sliding into position and the softener
syphons into the drum before the wash cycle. So, softening doesn't work!
The next difficulty arose when I tried to establish just how many rinse
cycles were occurring. Doh. The manual is a total source of non
information. As far as I could establish on the first quick attempt.
There was only one proper rinse cycle and that seemed to also include
the washing water. Does anyone know if the washing/rinse cycles are

The addition of cold water to the end of the wash cycle is
to prevent thermal shock of cold water being poured over hot
cloths on first rinse, which will fix creases into some types
of fabric. This isn't a rinse cycle itself. I've no experience
of the machine you have, but this would normally only be done
on the hotter washes such as above 40C (or at least only
necessary on hotter washes -- a machine with a simple minded
programmer might always do it).

documented anywhere. Has anyone modified the programmer? Our experience
is that clothes washed in this machine come out substantially
unrinsed/stiff as boards and her solution is to wash everything twice,
once with detergent and once with softener!

It sounds like there's no rinse cycle at all.
Does it do a full spin cycle?

--
Andrew Gabriel