Ben Gold

Default butcher block counter

I'd like to eventually put an 8 foot long (approx) 2-3 foot wide wooden
counter in my home. It will likely be supported by thin cabinets, floor
to ceiling posts at each end (already supporting the ceiling), and
probably a couple legs.

I'd like for one side of it to be like a bar in that you can sit at it
and have your legs go under it (i.e. it hangs over whatever it is
resting on).

€ What is the best source for such a thing? how hard would it be to
build myself?

€ Anyone know of any resources in New York City? Brooklyn specifically.

€ And lastly, what kind of wood do you prefer for butcher blocks?

thanks,

Ben