Jonathan Kamens

"home_novice" writes:
Since the paint layers are in various layers of removal, the paint on
these frames is in uneven layers. Is there anything I can do to just
cover this mess up? My feeling is no, but if anyone out there has any
insight, I would appreciate your input!!

Are you asking whether you can cover it up from an aesthetic
point of view (i.e., make it not look bad) or from a safety
point of view (i.e., make the lead paint not dangerous)?

Aesthetic: I suppose you could put a skim coat of plaster on
the areas you've partially stripped to smooth them over, then
sand and paint the plaster after it dries. However, I imagine
that given the stresses placed on door frames all the time,
the plaster will start to crack rather quickly. In short, I
suspect you're probably out of luck.

Safety: There are encapsulating paints you can use to cover up
lead paint instead of stripping it. However, encapsulation is
not a safe deleading technique on "gnawable surfaces", and
door frames fall into that category, so you probably can't use
encapsulant. I don't know of any other applicable techniques
for covering up lead paint on exposed surfaces rather than
stripping it.

I guess the executive summary is that as far as I can tell
you're out of luck. Perhaps someone else will have better
ideas.