Ian_m

"Cuprager" wrote in message
Cuprager wrote:
Father in law has about 9 of these massive trees in his back garden. They
are a bit taller than his 2 storey house and sit at the back of the
garden... there is a lane behind his garden about a cars width wide.
There is a greenhouse in front of the trees. You know whats coming next,
dont you! He had a quote from a tree surgeon to remove these trees, the
price was about 1k. Quite a lot of cash. The question is, is it a
diy'able job to take these down? The fears that i have are in their rough
order...

1. The height, how do you get 'up' high enough to lop the tops off?
2. Confined space to fell them. Should you rope them into the garden or
the lane... what about the greenhouse!
3. I dont think i would be comfortable with a chainsaw at height. Would a
bow saw or similar be ok?

A friend removed about 7 house tall leylandi, with my help. We managed to
cut them inititally at about half way point, pulling the top over using a
rope. Then halved again and finally cutting at the bottom. Didn't take long
at all and all sheds, fences and nearby house were neatly avoided. Oh if you
trim away the area where you are going to cut its a lot easier.

He then spent a week chopping the bits up with two visits per night to local
top in his car, before hiring a van for the day at the weekend and
completing the job.

Some roots he was able to dig up on one peice leaving a monster hole and
others he drilled holes and filled with weed killer crystals for a month or
two, then replaced with more holes and some substance to cause wood to rot.
After a year or two just dug root up with a spade.