dadiOH

AAvK wrote:
Has anybody heard of using mahogony in a outside situation as a hand
rail ????(exposed to the weather) and if you can use it, what would
you use to protect it from the weather, i.e stain, oil?

As Andy suggested I would also recommend Ipe, also known as Pao Lope.
Sold as long decking boards commonly by the linear foot in precut
sizes, come in exact thicknesses of 3/4" and 1" x 5-1/2". I can get
it for $2.70 L/f and other places farther away have it for $2. It
should be available at any decent lumber yard.

Ipe is extremely durable to weather, I have seen 25 years mentioned
online, it's also extremely hard and tight grained, dark.

Ditto greenheart. Never used it myself but I recall reading some years
ago about some greenheart pilings that were removed from the
Thames...they had been there some 200 years and were still good.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...