William W. Plummer

Pompeyfan wrote:

I'm thinking of pulling up my old carpet and painting the floorboards,
and was wondering if I could get some advice.
My reason for doing this, is I have a severely Autistic Son, who is
proving difficult to toilet train, and I want a surface easy to
clean, having said that I don't have much money because I had to give
up work to look after my wife and son, I am a full time carer. Also,
my because of my son's behaviour, I don't want to go to the trouble
of pollished floorboards, as they will be quickly scratched up and
damaged anyway, the same with Vinyl which I cant afford anyway.
So, my questions are, what type of paint would I use, and what could I
do about the gaps between the floorboards so that they don't trap all
sorts of dirt etc.
I'm not really worried about the job looking flash, just something
practical, as it is hard to keep this place looking good as you might
appreciate, I'm expecting holes in the walls and doors as my son gets
stronger.
Any replies would be appreciated.

After many years of home ownership and lots of different flooring
materials, my recommendation is ceramic tiles. Cleaning is simple, just
a broom on most days or a mop with water only for more serious problems.
You won't have to worry about anything getting trapped in gaps.

If you don't care too much about how it looks, do it yourself. The one
thing you have to get done right is the solid base over the existing
board floor. Get a contractor to tell you how to create a solid base.

You can also use tiles on the walls to make a durable, attractive room
that will meet your needs. But, remember tiles are a permanent
installation. You can change them the way you paint a wall.