Neil Jones

Default Cheap simple audio amplifiers.

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Owain wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote
| Where might I go for basic audio amplifiers?
| All I want is something that has a 3.5mm input jack,
| and speaker connectors. Everything else, perhaps even
| a volume control, is extra.
| Something around 20W.

Hmm, real watts or music power watts?

Actual real RMS watts.

The inventor of peak music power should be burnt at the stake.

| This would be for miscellaneous household audio.
| At the moment I've got various stereo units doing this,
| but they are rather large, and a neater solution would
| be nice.

Those amplified speakers used for computers. I don't know how many

W my
Altec Lansings with a subwoofer pump out, but they do the business

on a
Roland Virtual Guitar. Many people will have spares from buying new

PC
systems.

snip

I have speakers, I am just looking for the amps.
Thanks for the references, I was wondering if such a thing existed
already boxed, as it's in the range of a 1 chip class D amp, which

could
do it lots cheaper than with linear amps, as well as using less

power, and
needing less heatsinking.

Its within range of a bridged single chip car stereo type chip

actually.

Especially if run off 15-18v DC. And being used for audio rather

than
sine waves or guitars.Where avreage power is probably less tahn a

watt,
and smaller heastinks will work.

Yeah.
I'd like a fairly bullet-proof device, and am not really keen on
smaller heatsinks.

I was just wondering if someone had stuck a nice class D amp in a

little
box.
The Maplin 50W 6 channel amp for 45 quid would almost suit, but i'd

really
like the amps seperate.

(I have signal wiring, but not speaker wiring to the speaker

locations).

Oh well.

I suspect I'll watch ebay for a while, to see if anything very

suitable
pops up.
Thanks.

If you're handy witha soldering iron you could try this site:-

http://sound.westhost.com/pcb/pricelist.html

Neil