Prometheus

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:54:14 GMT, LDR
wrote:

It has to be me. I'm about to replace three collets on Fein, Bosch and
Makita routers. I don't think I am over tightening them, but what else
could it be? I have soaked them in that green stuff, to no avail. Is
there anything I can do to restore them. (Even though I think it
obvious, I should spell out the problem with the collets is that I can't
remove the bits without a drift and hammer, and yes I do try rappin the
nut.) Thanks in advance.

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but what exactly is "that green
stuff"? I know there are several rust removers on the market that you
could try, and then soak the freed collets in wd-40 or some 3-in-1
oil. This is assuming, of course, that the problem is some rust on
the inside of the collet.

My other guess would be that you may have cheap router bits, and the
collet is cutting into the shank a little bit and getting lodged
there. I know I've got a set of "tool shop" carbide bits I got with
my first router, and they have that problem all the time. When you
look at the shanks, they have small divits in them where the collet
pinched the steel. I usually just use the wrench that came with the
router to gently lever them out of the collet, and they come out
fairly easily that way- but almost nothing else seems to work.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam