George E. Cawthon

Ron Truitt wrote:
Facing the arbor nut I am attempting to move the nut counterclockwise,
which I believe should be correct.

RonT

That is correct on any saw I've seen. The nut
tends to tighten with rotation of the saw. I
think your main problem is that you put oil on the
thread; that means that the nut will tighten much
more than a dry nut. I am sure some people do,
but I've never seen anyone use anything but dry on
a radial arm or table saw.

Don't know the saw but the other end of the arbor
has a pulley on it, doesn't it? If so you should
be able to hold it still by tightening the belt
and squeezing the belt or by putting a large pipe
wrench on it. Or better, it if does have two flat
sides on the inside, get a piece of iron strap and
and make a cut out that will fit the flats or buy
a proper wrench.

And, if you get the but off, clean off the oil and
never do that again.