Wayne Cook

On 10 Apr 2005 16:33:30 -0700, "dolfantimmy"
wrote:

A few years back, I bought a riding mower from Tractor supply. I don't
remember what the brand name is, but it has a tecumseh 13 1/2 HP
engine.

I won't go in to detail (long sad story), but I've got the
ignition/starter wiring goofed up. I also don't have the ignition key.
I want to just install a couple toggle switches but I'm not sure where
to wire the ignition. I have already got the starter working, but no
ignition. There's several "safety switches" on the thing, so I'll be
bypassing those as well.

Can anyone tell me where to wire the battery to for the ignition,
perhaps what wires on the ignition key I can jump?

I imagine this sounds like a pretty basic question, but I've never hot
wired a thing in my life, including a lawn tractor GRIN.

First things first.

Do NOT wire the battery to the ignition.

That's a quick way to fry the coil. If you've already tried then
you've likely already fried the coil. Say bye bye to $35-$60 or more
if you've done that.

The ignition "kill wire" will be any of several places but it should
be a wire coming out from under the flywheel housing. It's likely
going to a post near the throttle linkage and the wire from the mower
hooking there but sometimes they're just hooked direct.

To wire it up hook one side of the switch to the post or wire and
the other side of the switch to ground. Turn the switch off to run and
on to kill.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook