hansen wrote:

I'm looking at the feasibility of converting my loft space into

usable
(not really "liveable" but I know the BR doesn't make much

slate/felt/chipboard construction) the max height on one side

(towards
the party wall) is only around 2m, i.e. not really suitable as it is.

However, the existing loft floor joists (very old wooden beams) are
around 300mm high, and the ceiling height in the room below is around

3.2m. This would, in my opinion, give me the opportunity to do the
following:

- Reduce the ceiling height below to around 3.0m, gaining 20cm

ceiling
height in the converted loft from this alone.

why not do the obvious and convert the floor below to 2.4m high. Gives
you more usable room upstairs then.

The thinnest floor achievable is solid wood. There are no separate
joists, just one thick wood floor, typically around 3" thick. Need to
PB line it underneath for fire regs.

NT