Grant Erwin

Zipper wrote:

I have an older vertricle bandsaw that currently has a wood blade in it.
This is an older bandsaw, but it's pretty decent, but I'm not sure about the
length of the blade. I want to get a new blade, and I was curious if anyone
was aware of a place around Atlanta, preferably on the North West side, but
anywhere will do, that made custom length bandsaw blades for cutting metal.
Any help is greatly appreicated. I googed this, but didn't come up with
anything very useful for what I was looking for. Also any tips on the right
blade to get would be appreciated. I found this
http://www.toolcenter.com/Lenox/, and it looks like I want a bi-metal blade,
but I don't know much about what makes a good blade.

-Stephen

Assuming your bandsaw can cut at speeds of 30-300 fpm (wood speeds are typically
800-5000 fpm) then you may or may not want a bimetal blade. In production you
certainly would want one, but they are expensive and can be frustrating because
if you get the speed wrong those hard brittle teeth can strip right off quickly.
Carbon steel blades from a good manufacturer do dull more quickly but the teeth
don't strip off and they're a lot cheaper. I'm tired of wrecking $40 blades so
I'm switching over to carbon steel ones for my 14" vertical. - GWE