Australopithecus scobis

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 07:53:52 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Anything I should avoid in
purchasing a first saw from the internet?

Watch the prices. The really good saws go for upwards of $200 while
the worthless saws go for under $20. Anything priced between those
limits should get you a good saw, But staying with known entities is
always a good choice, too. Lee Valley, The Japan Woodworker, Misugi
are all good names.

I would add that a sub-20 saw might be a good first saw. Why? Because they
are different there are different motor skills to learn and expectations
to revise. I learned the hard way that those itty-bitty teeth will chip
off if you let the saw hit the bench as the cut finishes. I'd hate to have
learned that lesson on a more expensive saw. I learned the hard way that
hardwood is tough on Japanese saws.

Folks here have given good reviews for Tashiro's saws:
http://www.tashirohardware.com/ , when you want to try something a little
different.

On topic, I picked up an Irwin (evil outcast unclean) kataha noko
giri for 40% off, just for fun. Man, that thing whizzes through wood. Not
a finishing saw, for sure.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com