DanG

I assume you are working with hot roll. I have had good luck on
several projects by bending and clamping to the shape I want and
then heating to red heat with a torch. When I pop the clamps
loose, the rod or strap holds the shape. The form to which you
clamp needs to be able to take the heat.

Hope this helps.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"mclorson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello! I am an amateur sculptor (beginner) that is using 1/4"
mild
steel rods as my medium to practice with. Eventually I want to
re-create my works in stainlees steel. Presently, I use an
oxy/acet
torch to heat the metal then bend it, twist it or put hard bends
in it
while applying heat and holding it in the vise. Occasionally
I'll get a
flat area or bump in my longer arcs/curves that is difficult to
compensate for if it happens in the wrong spot. I also want to
retain
the inegrity of the rod without deforming it.
I've tried a Harbor Freight Hossfeld style bender that was too
complex
and couldn't perform the long graceful arcs I desired without
causing
flat spots. I know it takes practice, and I'm not adverse to
that. (No
Kung Fu "Grasshopper" jokes please.) I am just looking to
shorten my
learning curve by gaining knowledge of resources, books,
methods, etc.
I also realize that stainless steel rods are likely to have
different
bending properties than mild steel.
My workshop is quite austere with only a vise, hand tools, and a
gas
torch. Any suggestions on bending these arcs or resources to
help me
self inform? Thanks, Mike in St. louis