mclorson

Default Graceful arcs in 1/4" steel rod

Hello! I am an amateur sculptor (beginner) that is using 1/4" mild
steel rods as my medium to practice with. Eventually I want to
re-create my works in stainlees steel. Presently, I use an oxy/acet
torch to heat the metal then bend it, twist it or put hard bends in it
while applying heat and holding it in the vise. Occasionally I'll get a
flat area or bump in my longer arcs/curves that is difficult to
compensate for if it happens in the wrong spot. I also want to retain
the inegrity of the rod without deforming it.
I've tried a Harbor Freight Hossfeld style bender that was too complex
and couldn't perform the long graceful arcs I desired without causing
flat spots. I know it takes practice, and I'm not adverse to that. (No
Kung Fu "Grasshopper" jokes please.) I am just looking to shorten my
learning curve by gaining knowledge of resources, books, methods, etc.
I also realize that stainless steel rods are likely to have different
bending properties than mild steel.
My workshop is quite austere with only a vise, hand tools, and a gas
torch. Any suggestions on bending these arcs or resources to help me
self inform? Thanks, Mike in St. louis