Larry Jaques

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 09:57:58 +0100, the inscrutable grasshopper
spake:

Hello. I don't own a Japanese saw yet, but with Google am trying to
learn.

The $25.95 (delivered) Razor Saw from www.japanwoodworker.com
is a great deal for a versatile saw. The Ryoba saw has a rip
tooth config on one side and a crosscut config on the other,
and both have decreasing tooth count toward the far end. This
means that they cut finer close to your hand, coarser toward
the end of the pull stroke. It's a great concept and works very
well in practice.

The Gyokucho 9-1/2" Double Edge Saw (Ryoba Noko Giri) 19.610.0
is what I got from them. I would have ordered the slightly
finer-toothed hardwood saw if I'd known they had a choice. If you
order one, see if they'll let you have a 19.611.0 hardwood saw
instead. 1-800-537-7820 (standard disclaimer applies)

Am I missing something or couldn't you approach the board and
draw the saw like a Samurai would draw a sword? When the board becomes
to close instead of reaching (potentially dangerous to a Samurai),
straddle the board with legs and arms.

With the Japanese "saw on a stick" config, you hold it as you would
a carving knife, but with the index finger pointing toward the blade.
Once started, they can be held any way you like. I have used mine
recently on a neighbor's project (cutting birdhouses from a downed
oak) vertically, in a milk-churn style grip. These things are faster
than my minty fresh Disston rip or crosscut saws. I'm amazed and sold
on the Japanese saw style.

Anything I should avoid in
purchasing a first saw from the internet?

Watch the prices. The really good saws go for upwards of $200 while
the worthless saws go for under $20. Anything priced between those
limits should get you a good saw, But staying with known entities is
always a good choice, too. Lee Valley, The Japan Woodworker, Misugi
are all good names.

--
A lot of folks can't understand how we came
to have an oil shortage here in America.

Well, there's a very simple answer...nobody
bothered to check the oil; We just didn't
know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical
- our OIL is located in Alaska, California,
Oklahoma and Texas.

Our DIPSTICKS are located in Washington, DC.