Tim Lamb

In message , lynd
writes
For a long time I have tried to get a house with some land. I dont want the
land for anything other than to be away from neighbours ( I am an
antisocial old s*d). I haven't been able to find anything I want. Ideally I
want my current house but in a larger field. I currently have about half an
acre around me.

Where I live there is a field to the rear of me. It would give me the
distance I want from other people.
Its farmland and I know it cant be changed - besides there is an old mine
shaft in the middle of it.

Its not up for sale, but I was wondering if it is possible to approach the
owner to sell it. The owner doesn't use it at all. Ive lived at the rear of
this field for 7 years and all he does with it is let the grass grow and
cuts it in the summer.

How would I best go about this? Has anyone done such a thing? can I employ
someone to approach for me?

Whats the best way of doing something like this.

Just ask!

Bear in mind that the guy mowing the grass may be a tenant rather than
the owner.

Very little agricultural land has been on the market recently because of
the uncertainty regarding implementation of the *single farm payment* so
prices are unrealistically high.

Small areas of road frontage land with no possibility of planning for
houses can fetch 5K/acre. Ask your local land agent for a rough figure.

The downside about owning land is that you then have to manage it.
Various bits of legislation, injurious weeds act, harbouring vermin etc.
prevent you just leaving nature to take its course.

regards

--
Tim Lamb