Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
i hope somebody can help me. i bought a doerr pump at a garage sale the

other day. they guy tol dme it had never been used but tis a little
old. it has a strange plug almost looks like a 240 volt. but the pump
says that its 115v. i know very little about motors! when i connect it

to my outlet with some wires.. it makes a humming noise and starts to
heat up. the motor is defineitly not spinning. im pretty sure the pump
works, im just doing something wrong. any ideas?

Some vacuum pumps - like for medical use - will have induction motors
which are happy to run for very long periods. One way to start these is
via a capacitor. If that has failed - as it could with age - the motor
won't start but simply get hot.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW