Tim and Steph

Be sure to use through-bolts (if you can reach the back side of the rim
joist) or long enough lag screws--don't just nail the ledger: most
deck collapses are caused by improper attachment (you probably already
know this, but I can't tell you how many decks I see nailed to the
sides of houses--it always looks like a law suit to me). Good luck.

Amen to that - that's one of the many reasons this deck is coming down. The
ledger board is simply screwed on with a bunch of what appears to be drywall
screws. As near as I can tell, there is only minimal if any penetration
into the framing of the house.

Amazingly, this arrangement has withstood some pretty serious snow loading -
the steel roof insures that there's generally two to three feet of
hard-packed snow on the thing. I keep waiting for the whole thing to come
down, saving me the trouble of demolition, but alas, it has not. Go figure.