James Sweet

"z" wrote in message
m...
My SO accidentally used reverse polarity for the 6v dc power supply input
to the SuperScope PSD 230 portable CD player she just got secondhand.
She had not tried it before. Now it does not play with the power supply
only (tip positive, which I think is correct according to the diagram
on the outside of the box). However, it seems to play fine with

batteries.

Does reversing the polarity of a 6v dc power supply to an electronic

device
ordinarily fry the innards? Or is there usually some kind of protective
circuit that prevents this mistake from having serious consequences?

TIA...

If it still works on batteries then you got very lucky and there's probably
a protection diode, look for a burned trace or micro fuse near the input
jack. Usually reverse polarity will fry the device instantly, not sure why
they don't all have a diode.