James Sweet

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:40:41 -0500, "Bob Shuman"
wrote:

As I recall there were two different classes of Wega TVs. I believe one

was
a cheaper version (possibly the F or FV series?) I have had only one
problem with my 5-year old 32" model and that is with the clock. It runs
several minutes fast each month making it basically useless. Seems they

did
not take advantage of the stable 60 Hertz AC power current for clocking

Er, a lot of people actually disconnect power completely from the TV,
especially when going on holidays or for whatever reason. It is a pain
to have to reset the time every time you switch on again so that
method is also next to useless. A battery backed xtal controlled clock
would be best a-la your everday PC. Of course, the added cost would
probably mean it is unlikely to be adopted for analog sets since these
are a dying breed. Hopefully, down the track, digital TV transmissions
will all send the time locked to UTC or some other standard.

This paper covers the problem
http://www.broadcastpapers.com/sigdi...Time-print.htm

They use a microprocessor anyway, it's virtually trivial to allow the clock
to lock onto AC when present and use the crystal oscillator if it's
unplugged.