Marvin W. Klotz

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:18:50 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

a6016 wrote:

A friend, who died of cancer about a year ago, was working in his shop
one day while I looked on. He was drilling a hole in a piece of 2"
square tube to make into a trailer hitch. He had a little tool or
device that he used to find the center, side to side, to drill the hole
into which the retaining pin would be inserted and secure the hitch.
Does this "thing" sound familiar to anyone? I'd like to find it for my
own use.

They're easy to make.

Imagine a bar with two pins set into it. Pin-to-pin separation is greater than
the width of the material in question. Imagine a hole to accept a transfer
punch drilled in the bar midway between the two pins.

Drop over material, twist until both pins contact the sides of the material,
and the hole will be centered on the material. Insert transfer punch in hole
and make center mark.

I made one with the added feature of adjustable pin spacing and it's useful for
non-precision jobs.

I have no idea what it's official name is. I just call mine a "centering
gizmo".

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo

--
HSM Freeware Programs at
http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo