Andrew Mawson

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .

"velodocuk" wrote in message
om...
I've got a sewage pipe blockage - opening a manhole cover in the

back
garden showed a 50cm depth of sewage water. The drain direction

heads
out under the pavement to the middle of the road -so I borrowed a
friend's drain rods. They went through no problem until they met

an
obstruction which felt solid - somewhere under the middle of the

road.
I asume this is some sort of junction in the sewage pipes.

So I thought I'd stick the (100mm) plunger on and see if I got set

up
a water wave to dislodge any obstruction. The plunger went in no
bother (to about 6 rod lengths), but when it hit the solid wall I
found I couldn't retract it more than about 10-15cm.

I assume here that the edge of the rubber plunger had gone over a

lip
in the piping but no amount of pulling on the rods will get them

back out - there is only 10-15cm of to and fro movement.

Anyone have any ideas? I'll probably have to see if the water

company
will sort out the blockage which seems to be in the public drain

but
what I'm worried about is getting my stuck plunger and rods out.

Brute
force? Possibly but I've given it all I can.

(The spectre of franchised drain companies and their legendary

bills
looms large....)

Cheers, Paul

The local council would be first port of call, they charge a fixed

fee about
£35 iirc and have camera gear

Regards Jeff

Don't just pull, rotate it as you pull. Any bend in the end rod will
tend to lift it over the lip. Make sure to rotate in the direction
that TIGHTENS the couplers though !

AWEM