Crewood

Default Balancing Radiators

Hello All,

I have a radiator problem, one of the replies to a previous post was to
balance my radiators. I looked at the FAQ pages and I'm still lost.

The FAQ talks of lock shield valves, can someone please explain in the
lowest terms. There are two valves on a radiator, are both LSVs or how
can I identify which is the LSV. To get the radiators to balance do I
close off one of the valves more the the other valve on the same
radiator or equal amounts?

For years my central heating has worked perfectly well, nothing has
been changed but recently some of the downstairs rads will not get
warm. Also when the pump is not switched on one of the upstairs rads
is cold although the others are hot.

Someone suggested there could be sludge in the cold rads, I took these
off, there was a small amount of dark liquid but no heavy sludge. I
washed them out with a hose, replaced them but I still have the same
problem of a cold radiator. As the system was when it worked, all the
valves on the radiators were fully open, most of the valves are now
difficult to turn, is there anyway I can free these off?

Any help at all would be most welcome.

Regards....Mike