Tom W

Thanks for the reply - I'll take your advice and add extra insulation under
the floor - shouldn't add much to the job and it will help to keep the room
underneath warmer too (a kitchen with no heating at all). As for the cold
tiles, I had a feeling it might be obvious if I left a gap - I suppose I'll
just have to hope the fittings under the floor will last as long or longer
than my current taste in flooring!

Cheers

Tom

"That Bloke" wrote in message
We have fitted an electric mat system on a concrete floor with 10mm of
insulation. It was claimed it would come up to heat in 30 mins. Not true
more like an hour and a half to get to full heat.

I would lift the boards and put 150 mm of insulation on top of a net
attached to the bottom of the beams then put your flooring back, then
insulation board and lay your tiles on the flooring. You will need a slot
for the thermostat cut in the flooring.or the insulation mat.

The thermostat in mine was faulty but I got the tile back up no problems
so do not grout that tile until all is working well.

If you leave a few tiles to get access to the pipes without heating
underneath you will feel how cold they are. It is really obvious when you
stand on them.

eddie