Tim and Steph

Default OT - Deck Ledger board, flashing, and vertical siding - I'm lost.

Posted this already over at alt.home.repair, which so far has spawned an
absolutely fascinating discussion of a collapsed deck, but no useful
answers, so here's the deal:

I've got a house with vertical board and batten siding. I want to build a
deck, so I need to hang a ledger board. The only issue is the flashing.
With normal siding, there's an obvious place to put the top edge of the
flashing - it goes under the siding. But, with vertical siding, I haven't a
clue where to put it - do I fire up the circular saw and run a kerf across
the siding, and put the flashing into that? It seems somewhat
counterintuitive to do this, but I don't see any other way to do it.

I've also been considering anchoring the ledger board somewhat off the
siding by using several of those "giant fender washer" type things. I'd
guess that this would give the water somewhere to go rather than staying
between the ledger board and the siding, and would prevent rot.

Thoughts?

-Tim