Owain

Richard wrote:
Kitchen install is nearly complete (thank goodness) but I have
encountered a minor snag-ette:
I intended fitting a pair of (car) speakers in the scribing panel that
fills the space between the cupboards and the ceiling. That was until
we decided that the cupboards should be higher up the walls. As there
is insufficient space for speakers above the cupboards I was wondering
if there are any that the collective experience of this NG would deem
suitable for mounting below the cupboards.

How big a space do you have left in your scribing panel? Linn Sweetspots
might be suitable

The Sweetspot fits naturally into rows of halogen downlighters and is
simple to install.
Measuring only 3.5 inches in diameter and 5 inches deep, the sweetspot
unconventionally employs a huge magnet and long voicecoil assembly to
produce accurate sound quality, high power handling and a frequency
response unmatched at this size.
Type: Panel mounted, sealed box loudspeaker
Frequency Response: 120Hz - 15kHz
Input Impedance: 8 ohms
Efficiency: 77bB / Watt @ 1m
Recommended Amplifier Power: 20W MIN 50W MAX

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3793
http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/74

Admittedly they are about £90 a pair.

There are speakers the size of small halogen downlighters for public
address / background music which i was trying to find online but haven't
yet. Rather more affordable.

Richer Sounds has some small Ariston speakers, might co-ordinate with
the washing machine :-) Under a tenner to under £30

Owain