Set Square

Default "Sold" boards should only be allowed after exhange of contract

Mike Mitchell wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
Mike Mitchell wrote:

If agents were not allowed to erect the "Sold" board until contracts
had been exchanged, the meaning of "Sold" would carry a lot more
weight. As it is, I feel it is being used as a kind of scam to force
up the market and make would-be vendors believe that the agent in
question must be doing a good job by apparently selling a house so
quickly.

MM

Am I missing something here? I can't see any advantage to the agent
in pretending a house is sold when it isn't - because the "sold"
notice will put off any other potentially interested parties from
investigating it.

I didn't say they were pretending, i.e. committing fraud, did I? These
are situations where the buyer has stopped buying, simple as that.

MM

You said - and I have left your final paragraph unsnipped so you can see for
yourself: "I feel it is being used as a kind of scam to force up the market
and make would-be vendors believe that the agent in question must be doing a
good job . . "

Seems pretty clear from this that you are blaming the agents for
mis-representing the position rather than the buyers for pulling out. It is
presumably the agents who are committing this alleged scam. I would have
thought that your description of "scam" came closer to an accusation of
fraud than my reference to "pretending".

FWIW - I hold no brief for estate agents - they're largely a bunch of
skarks. I just happen to think that this whole thread is a storm in a
teacup.
--
Cheers,
Set Square