brianlanning

money for the D-handle. I got a fixed base for the 690 from the
very
same Rockler for $35 for use in a router table.

Hmmm, prices have gone up. Pretty sure the fixed base (type 2) was

$40
last Saturday when I was in there.

This one seems to have been made just for router tables. There are no
plastic knobs on it. It's just the aluminum base.

Store manager there is a female now, Diane something. Only dealt with
her twice but she seemed to have it together and knew what it was all

about.

I haven't met her. A few years ago, I asked the guy I was talking
about about the advantages and disadvantages of a RAS vs SCMS. I
didn't know much about either at the time and noted how the high end
SCMS and low end RAS were about the same price. His response was sort
of snooty as though he were looking down upon me for even considering a
RAS, or maybe because it was obvious that I was a newbie. Either way,
he was a jerk.

As long as you're in that neighborhood, have you ever tried Berland's
House of Tools on Route 12 (Rand Rd)just north of Quentin Rd? Only
about two miles from Woodcraft. They have a sign in the back by the
service department "If we don't have it, you don't need it!"
Largest selection of hand, power and stationary tools under one roof
that you're likely to find in the Chicagoland area.
Well worth the stop if you've not been there before.

I bought my delta contractor's saw and dust collector there. It's also
a candy store. I really like their collection of smaller power tools.
If I were buying a table saw today, I would probably go with a grizzly
cabinet saw. But the delta is fine for now.

For the big stuff, I'll probably shop online from now on. But my ryobi
cordless drill is dying, and I'd like to replace some other ryobi stuff
I have. I'd like to keep them in business. They may be a good place
to get the D-handle.

brian