Neil Larson

I shop at the same store and have found, in general, that they are very
competative. If you are talking about buying from the Tool Crib on Amazon,
add in shipping and the delay in getting it and see how the price looks
then.

I bought the Rockler Dovetail jig 2 weeks ago and got a PC690 for 40 bucks
with it, not bad.

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was meeting a friend at the schaumburg outback last night for dinner
(Schaumburg is a chicago suburb), so I decided to stop by the Rockler
store there and pick up the D-handle for my PC 690.

Let me first say this this place is like a candy store and I've bought
things there on many occasions.

I didn't check online to see what a good price on the D-handle was, but
my gut told me that it should be about $50. I walked in and asked the
guy if they had one. He was very helpful. Then I noticed the price:
$98... for a cast aluminum frame, plastic handle, power plug connector,
power cord, and trigger. For comparrison, this is about what those
huge cast iron tennoning jigs cost. So I put it back and left.

When I arrived home last night, I looked up the item on amazon: $70.
Now I can understand that schaumburg isn't a cheap area. And I can
understand that they need to make some money and can't really compete
directly with online places, but $30 is a little excessive.

The weird thing is that some of the items seemed to have very good
prices. Maybe this is a special case.

brian