J. Clarke

JC wrote:

BEST
Lee Valley
Grizzly

THE ABSOLUTE ALL-TIME MOST SINCERELY BUTT-UGLY WORST:
Dell Computer
http://members.cox.net/valk_ryder/dell/

The thing that I see missing there is the snail mail to Michael Dell,

"Dear Mr. Dell,

Enclosed please find a copy of my recent correspondence with your customer
service department and a photo of my computer next to today's newspaper to
demonstrate that I do indeed have it in my possession at this time. All I
want is the WiFi card that, according to the order and the service tag, was
in the machine, but which in fact was never provided. I will call your
office on (date 7 business days after postmark of letter) to discuss this
matter"

And the transcript of the phone call, in which you talked to Mr. Dell's
secretary (in a company that size, the secretary is more in the nature of
the Executive Officer on a warship--she or he is empowered to implement
policy, including kicking ass and taking names, but not to create new
policy) in which you reiterated the situation--since you enclosed a photo,
the secretary will probably remember your letter, and in which the
secretary agreed to "look into" the matter.

And the the result, whatever it might have been, of that "looking into". In
my experience, the result is either whatever was expected with something
added to sweeten the pot or a phone call from an obviously terrified
customer service rep that will give you anything you want, possibly
including a BJ, in order to be allowed to keep their job.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate