The Natural Philosopher

Default Cheap simple audio amplifiers.

Ian Stirling wrote:

Owain wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote
| Where might I go for basic audio amplifiers?
| All I want is something that has a 3.5mm input jack,
| and speaker connectors. Everything else, perhaps even
| a volume control, is extra.
| Something around 20W.

Hmm, real watts or music power watts?

Actual real RMS watts.

The inventor of peak music power should be burnt at the stake.

| This would be for miscellaneous household audio.
| At the moment I've got various stereo units doing this,
| but they are rather large, and a neater solution would
| be nice.

Those amplified speakers used for computers. I don't know how many W my
Altec Lansings with a subwoofer pump out, but they do the business on a
Roland Virtual Guitar. Many people will have spares from buying new PC
systems.

snip

I have speakers, I am just looking for the amps.
Thanks for the references, I was wondering if such a thing existed
already boxed, as it's in the range of a 1 chip class D amp, which could
do it lots cheaper than with linear amps, as well as using less power, and
needing less heatsinking.

Its within range of a bridged single chip car stereo type chip actually.

Especially if run off 15-18v DC. And being used for audio rather than
sine waves or guitars.Where avreage power is probably less tahn a watt,
and smaller heastinks will work.

3 suggestins

(i) skip. Find any old cheapo radios etc and adapt them.

(ii) as pointed out computer speakers if you want the speaker as well.

(iii) roll your own PCB including supply etc - useful if you need 10plus.