Grant Erwin

I'm done with the casters now. The last 3 I did all at the same time -- wired
a steel wire around the rim of the wheel, then up and around the stem, twisted
tightly so it made connection to both the wheel and the caster body. They
didn't turn out perfect, but 90% of the rust came off. I worked some grease
down onto the axle with a sailmaker's needle and now they turn smoothly so I
believe the rust down there was dealt with. YMMV. - GWE

Pete & sheri wrote:
I don't think you will be able to get inside a hole (the wheel) with
this process. If both the wheel and the axle ARE connected to the same
side of the power source, then the charges will be the same and no
electrolytic action will occur.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------

Grant Erwin wrote:

I have this old set of casters I'm trying to save. Steel everything,
quite
rusted. They still turn but sound like a sack of cats. These don't
disassemble
and the replacement ones have plastic wheels. Yuck. So I'm trying to
get the
rust off. These are stem casters, 7/16"x1-9/16" stem, 2" wheels.
Yesterday I
suspended one by the stem into an electrolytic derusting solution and
gave it
a whirl. The caster housing derusted beautifully but there is
apparently too
little electrical contact with the wheel to have any effect.

How can I EDR the wheel? I thought of soft-soldering a wire to the rim of
the wheel and suspending it by the wire (with just the top of the wheel
out of the solution). Is there any better way?

GWE -- rookie EDR'er