Owain

Default building regs for staircases

"Mary Fisher" wrote
| | There was an episode of the Generation Game where the
| | contestants had to make a door.
| | er ... Generation Game?
| A popular televisual entertainment of the 1980s, featuring Mr
| Larry Grayson, a well-known and rather camp variety entertainer
| (whose catchphrase was, appropriately for the topic, "Shut that
| door!") assisted by Isla St Clair.
| Thanks for the explanation. It makes some sense now because when we
| teach people how to make candles some say that 'it feels like The
| Generation Game' and I never liked to show my ignorance :-)

Ah.

Explanation of the Generation Game follows.

Two relatives of different generations of the same family in each team.
Three teams if I remember. An expert would demonstrate a task such as
assembling a door or icing a cake, against the clock, preferably something
involving manual dexterity and sticky stuff. The contestants would then have
to repeat the same task in the same amount of time. Mr Grayson would rush
about making 'helpful' suggestions like "Squirt some more glue all over it".
At the end of the time, the expert would award points according to the level
of accomplishment, trying not to be too scathing about what were obviously
complete bodge-ups.

The contestant with the most points then got to sit in front of a conveyor
belt along which would pass the prizes ... teasmades and the like, and of
course a ubiquitous CUDDLY TOY. After the prizes had passed out of sight the
contestant had to remember them all, with the audience shouting out helping.
Everything the contestant remembered within 30 seconds or whatever,
including the CUDDLY TOY, they got to take home.

All good clean fun on Saturday tea-time television.

Owain