The Natural Philosopher

Default building regs for staircases

G&M wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:18:22 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

Building regs are actually fairly sane on staircases IMHO.

Yep. Just broke my foot today falling down three steps of my genuine
authentic 19th century wooden stairs.
They are going no matter what the conservation officer thinks !!!!!!

Hi,

Are you really going to rip out a 100+ year old staircase because you
tripped and hurt your foot?

Yes ! They are lethal anyway as headroom is 5'6", have no proper
bannisters and are steeper than 45 degrees. House is not listed or anything
and even my BCO took an instant dislike to them as well on seeing them.

Hear hear!.

Just because its old doesn't make it any bloody good.

If yiou want to see how ghastly really old hoses were vistit the open
aur museum of riral life? near goodwood in west sussex.

Open fires in the centers of rooms with smokeholes in teh roof? No thank
you.

nearest thng to 'en suite' is a cupboard built out over a 20 ft drop
with a hole in the floor and a bucket underneath...

staircases which are essentially ladders.

The standard of a modern house in all but _appearance_ and _size_ is
better than the best tudor mansion.

Take that tudor mansion, insulate it, underfloor heat it, stick in
modern plumbing and lighting, and THEN you have a real house worth
preserving.