doozer

Lee wrote:
doozer wrote:

Modern LCDs are have a fairly good working temperature range and will
generally recover from being exposed to high(ish) and low temperatures
(they are stored refrigerated after production). What will damage them
irreversibly though is prolonged exposure to sunlight (UV). It will
cause them to turn yellow over time. An LCD left with sun on the
screen will last maybe a year before it starts to look fairly poor.

The manual for my laptop has dire warnings about direct sunlight being
bad for the screen. I thought they meant heat, I didn't realise they
were sensitive to UV.
I know it sounds obvious that they would be, but I just expected that
they would have had a UV filter incorporated into the panel.

Another good reason not to leave the laptop lid open when not using it
then

Lee

They do have a UV filter but as with sun tan lotion it will fail
eventually and turn yellow. UV is very damaging to molecules because the
photons carry enough energy to break bonds and hence degrade the filter
(which is also why UV causes skin cancer in humans).