Wilson Lamb

Why not hog out some of the mortis with a drill first. I expect you could
even do it with a hand held if you are careful. With your loads, fit is
probably not a big deal. Thus the question, why so deep? Come to think of
it, a doweling jig or something you make from hardwood could keep you lined
up.
Wilson
"gandalf" wrote in message

"lgb" wrote in message
I want to cut a 1.5" deep 1/4" mortise using a router. I didn't have a
bit long enough so I rooted through my catalog collection and ordered a
Freud bit that was 2.875" long with 1" of carbide.

It arrived yesterday and although it has a 1/4" shank, there appears to
be a section just above the carbide that is thicker than 1/4". Even if
that's an optical illusion, the package says I should only cut 1" deep
(the length of the carbide) with it.

I didn't see any other bits that were even that long.

How do you cut 1.5" mortises with a router? Or should I just give up
and use some other method?

Up to now I have cut mortises on the drill press or by hand. But this
project (an entertainment center) is going to require about 100 so I
thought I'd try the router with a jig.

If it looks like one of these:
http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/prof...2%2F6LX1%2F4TC
then you should be OK. According to Trend it is for doing just what you
want, deep mortises. They do however say to take extra care with small
passes, for that cutter that would 1/8" at a time.