Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department Postmaster

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 08:07:46 GMT, "Wes Stebbins"
wrote:

Also, when you join a single stand wire
to a solid you're supposed to first wrap the strand end around the solid
wire, then bend the solid wire over the stranded wire.

This must have been popular with people from Indiana. My house in
Florida (homeowner was a snowbird) had a bunch of boxes made up that
way. No wire nut or anything. He just wrapped the stranded around the
solid, folded it over and crimped it with his pliers. Then taped up.
I think I have tracked them all down and reconnected with a listed
connector but I have to say I never saw any signs of heating, even on
a 1400w bathroom heater.

That technique was only supposed to be used before soldering. Without
solder they were taking a chance on thermal cycling or corrosion opening
the splice and causing arcing.
--
Tom H