RicodJour

bryan wrote:
Thank you for your reply. You're clearly an *A*dvanced

*A*rchitecture
*S*cholar. Yes, my trim is featureless. I like it that way; nice

and
simple, clean square lines. But that's just my opinion and taste of
which you obviously possess better of each. And the scraping sound

you
are referring to and the hinge pin problem is why I intend to cut out
the trim around the hinge. I'm thinking about using a router with a
raised panel cove bit and to recess the trim around the hinges.

Quite possibly I do have better taste than you do, but that's entirely
besides the point. It's your house and you'll obviously do as you see
fit.

Your trim is not featureless, it stands proud from the wall. If you
want modern, eliminate the casing entirely. I worked on the old
Central Savings Bank renovation in NYC and collaborated with the
architect on designing exactly that sort of feature. I also fail to
see how three notches constitutes clean lines. I'd call that a kludge.
You could rethink your hardware - butt hinges ate not necessarily the
way to go.

I would love to see how cutting out around the hinge will enable you to
remove the hinge pin. The hinge pin needs to slide up 3.5" before it
pops out. Are you planning to extend that clean notch that far?

Do yourself a favor. Make a mockup. Pop for the $5 in trim and cut it
until it works for you. I think you might find the effect is not quite
what you're imagining.