Luke

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:37:37 GMT, "Jag Man"
wrote:

What is the secret to getting a leak free joint where the drain
connects
to the wash basin? I've managed in the past, but never on the first
try
so I must be doing something wrong. My technique, read off of
instructions for installation of the drain, is to roll a gob of
plumber's
putty into a rope about 1/4" in diameter and lay it in the depression
in the basin where the drain goes. Then I drop the drain in, work the
rubber grommet up over the drain from below, put the washer and nut
on,
and tighten the nut. Then I peal away the putty that has been sqeezed
out
around the drain and do a leak test by closing the drain plug,
filling the basin and letting it stand. After 10 minutes
or so I put my hand down there and find wetness. Since it gets wet
when the
the plug is in place it must be leaking around the putty, right?

At that point I loosen the nut and work the drain up far enough to
squeeze some more
putty in, but that seldom works and I have to take it all apart and
start from scratch.

Could someone clue me in?

Are you rolling the putty in your hands until it's thoroughly warm and
softened? See it this helps: apply the putty to the bottom of the
drain set, not the basin, then very firmly work the drain set into the
basin, squishing putty out and seating the drain set so when it's
tightened from below it doesn't have far to go.

Adding putty after tightening down the drain set then loosening it
won't work, in my experience. You have to start over from the
beginning.

--
Luke