Joseph Meehan

longshot wrote:
I purchased a home a couple months ago, the water heater was not
heating, I replaced the top element & that fixed the problem. lately
(every now & then) this think leaks from somewhere.. my wife said it
was doing it late last night. coming from the area around the upper
element, under the jacket, she didn't remove the cover, so I am not
sure where it was coming from, I haven't been able to see a leak
anywhere, it doesn't sound like a tank leak since it is not all the
time. Anyone ever deal with anything like this? Thanks
Rob

It could be the element leaking, but the usual "leaking" from a water
heater is from the PT valve. If the heat gets a little high or if the
pressure goes a little high it will "vent." Normally you will find this
near the top of the tank with a pipe extending down to within a few inches
of the floor. The "leak" comes out from the end of that pipe. If this is
the case, it could be your temperatures is set too high, or the pressure is
going to high (usually a combo of no expansion tank and a pressure reduction
or anti siphon valve on the inlet) or the valve is defective.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit