Doug Miller

In article t, HorneTD wrote:

I was trying to draw a difference between what you were saying and what
the code actually requires. I now understand that you believe that the
code forbids traditional soldered splices.

If by "traditional soldered splices" you mean twisted together, soldered, and
taped, yes, I believe that *is* prohibited. Making a splice by twisting and
taping, *without* solder, is *not* an approved method of making a splice.
Since the Code *also* requires that splices not depend on solder, it's hard to
imagine how the addition of solder to an unapproved splice could transform it
into an approved splice.

I don't believe it does and
when I have had to do repairs and extensions of knob and tube wiring I
have made up mechanical splices by twisting or wrapping the conductors
around each other in the traditional manor creating at least three full
turns, then soldered, followed by taping. So far I have passed
inspection.

Passing inspection is not necessarily the same as being Code-compliant. :-)

I would like you to tell me how you would solder a splice
that is already covered with a solderless connector. The language of
section 110.14 requires that the conductors be spliced or joined first
and then soldered.

That language does not, however, require the use of any one specific type of
connector. As I read that, the Code would approve the use of a split-bolt
connector, for instance (making the splice mechanically and electrically
secure), followed by solder, followed by tape.

I think I'll just continue to use the traditional method, were it is
appropriate, and if an inspector ever refuses it I'll see what the state
board of appeals has to say. You see if your position were correct it
would be absolutely pointless to use solder. I have to believe that the
code making panel did not put in language on soldered splices just to
render the practice useless. If that was the intention they would have
simply forbid the use of soldering as a splicing technique.

The Code *does* forbid the use of soldering as a splicing technique. That's
what it means when it says that the connection shall be mechanically and
electrically secure without solder: that soldering, alone, as a splicing
technique, is forbidden, but _in_conjunction_ with other, approved methods it
is permitted.

--
Regards,