Daniel A. Mitchell

Don Foreman wrote:
On 6 Apr 2005 08:58:16 -0700, "Joatman71" wrote:

I want to make 1/64 scale models of construction equipment. I have
looked at using brass and soldering it together, but it doesn't stick
together well. I can break it apart at the solder joint. Is this
normal or is it my soldering skills? I also want to lay a bead of
solder along a 2" joint and then grind it smooth. Is this possible?
Should I braze it instead of soldering it?

I have thought about using sheet metal and a mig welder instead. Will
this work with very small parts and thin metal?

MIG is not the answer here.

Get some Harris Staybrite silver-bearing solder. It works just a
little above usual soldering temperatures, and it sticks very well to
brass, also to steel and stainless. You can use a small torch, a
soldering gun or a soldering iron. Strength is about 24,000 PSI
IIRC. It's not as strong as a braze or weld, but it's considerably
stronger than ordinary lead-tin solder -- and it is very easy to use.
For flux, use Harris Staykleen, or ordinary tinner's fluid.

You don't "lay a bead" with this material. It wets and flows like
water when it melts. It will "follow the heat". If you want a
bead, lay brass wire or narrow strip where you want the bead and
solder it in place.

Consider a resistance soldering unit ... they're hard to beat for 90% of
light structural soldering like you propose. almost all the real quality
constuction models are made of soldered and cast brass. How much
strength do you need? Something the size of this (1/64) can always be
easily bent or broken, even if solid sheet or cast metal.

Use the correct solder, use the correct flux, and, as others have
stated, **CLEAN** the metal before soldering! Also, lear the various
types of joints, and how to reinforce them for added strength.

For examples of the miniature structural soldering art look at any of
the fine quality brass model railroad models available ... and the COST!
even in HO scale, $2000 plus for a model is now common.

Also, it's your model, but why 1/64? 1/64 is common for farm tractor
models, but not construction models. Cnstruction models are usually in
1/87, 1/48-50 (most common of all), 1/24, or 1/16. A vast number are
commercially available, including some parts, like working metal link
tracks, winches, lights, etc. Most are diecast metal, but the better
ones are either resin/diecast combination, or all brass construction.
Again, a nice 1/24 scale D8 Cat is about $1700!

for a starter, see:

http://www.toyline.com/bri ... Buffalo Rd. Importers
http://www.garberent.com Caterpillar Classic Toys

Dan Mitchell