Don Foreman

On 6 Apr 2005 08:58:16 -0700, "Joatman71" wrote:

I want to make 1/64 scale models of construction equipment. I have
looked at using brass and soldering it together, but it doesn't stick
together well. I can break it apart at the solder joint. Is this
normal or is it my soldering skills? I also want to lay a bead of
solder along a 2" joint and then grind it smooth. Is this possible?
Should I braze it instead of soldering it?

I have thought about using sheet metal and a mig welder instead. Will
this work with very small parts and thin metal?

MIG is not the answer here.

Get some Harris Staybrite silver-bearing solder. It works just a
little above usual soldering temperatures, and it sticks very well to
brass, also to steel and stainless. You can use a small torch, a
soldering gun or a soldering iron. Strength is about 24,000 PSI
IIRC. It's not as strong as a braze or weld, but it's considerably
stronger than ordinary lead-tin solder -- and it is very easy to use.
For flux, use Harris Staykleen, or ordinary tinner's fluid.

You don't "lay a bead" with this material. It wets and flows like
water when it melts. It will "follow the heat". If you want a
bead, lay brass wire or narrow strip where you want the bead and
solder it in place.