Doug Miller

In article .net, HorneTD wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Robert Barr

wrote:

I have never trusted stranded wire connetions. I've seen too many go
bad (mainly from corrosion over time) & cause problems. I solder. It
takes a few extra minutes, but in my view, it's always worth it.

Note, however, that the National Electrical Code requires that a mechanical
fastener (such as a wire nut) must be used _in_addition_ to the solder.
A connection made by solder alone is a Code violation.

Can you quote me chapter and verse on that assertion. I am unaware of
any such provision in the code except that "Connections depending solely
on solder shall not be used" in attaching Equipment Grounding Conductors
to boxes. A splice that is made up mechanically and then soldered is
perfectly acceptable as is shown by the reference in 250.148 to 110.14.

That, of course, is _exactly_ what I said: a mechanical fastener must be used
in addition to the solder. And you cited the relevant portion of the Code
yourself:

110.14 Electrical Connections.

[...]
(B) Splices. [...] Soldered splices shall first be spliced or
joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder
and then be soldered.

--
Regards,