Matt

Ok, you have a point there. Old is sometimes better. I'm often amazed
ate complete crap that passes fro quality merchandise these days.

It's just my opinion, in the case of a pump needed to protect yourself
from a flood, new is always better.

Also, Zoeller is hardly HD crap.

I also disagree that old doesn't mean anything in motors or pumps;
especially ones that are submerged. Bearings seize, windings rot.
Connecting wires corrode, etc etc ect.

Also, if you are suggesting that high quality pumps were being spit out
of the factories 22 years ago, I disagree there as well. 1985 was
hardly the height of quality workmanship.

The OP stated it was in the house when he bought it. What does that
mean? A builder grade pump.

I just think it would be easier, and less expensive to replace rather
than repair.

On the off chance the pump is of such high quality it is worth
salvaging, I would take it to a rebuild shop for a complete tear down
and cleanup though.

Toller can decide from these choices for himself, and meantime, we will
just have to agree to disagree.