G&M

Default building regs for staircases

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:11:16 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

Are you really going to rip out a 100+ year old staircase because you
tripped and hurt your foot?

Yes ! They are lethal anyway as headroom is 5'6", have no proper
bannisters and are steeper than 45 degrees. House is not listed or

anything
and even my BCO took an instant dislike to them as well on seeing them.

Ah, when you mentioned a conservation officer earlier it meant the
house was listed.

Nope - just living within a National Park where the conservation officers
try to pretend that everything is effectively listed. Expecting a visit
anyday from the jackboots about the duck pond mentioned on another thread
that I've just had dug in my garden.

Still, it's a shame to see original features go. Would it not have
been better to buy a house without these features if you don't like
them?

I'd love to have done so. Or even built a house to suit our needs from
scratch.
But it took over a year to even find an unlisted one with land round here
large enough for what we wanted. And getting planning permission for a new
build here is simply impossible.