AlexW wrote:
wrote:
Brian G wrote:

For future ref...

I was wondering how dry is dry enough here? Thinking of situations

where
very dry conditions (I have 18" thick rubble filled walls) are

difficult
to achieve (at least in a timely manner).

Drying the air out is a fast process. Drying the bulk of the walls is
pretty slow of course. But moulds need poor ventilation as well as damp
to thrive: expose the wet bits and the surface dries fairly quickly,
and the ventilation doesnt help the mould survive any either.

Also, timber is not often all that dry esp. when new (even the kiln
dried stuff) - thinking here of patching the effected area might
introduce moisture, at least temporarily.

If its in dryish air there wouldnt be a problem, its long exposure
where rot sets in. Vic houses were built without any kiln drying, and
there was no CH then so they dried more slowly. They didnt normally
rot.

In those types of situations is it not prudent to use a chemical
approach also to prevent reoccurence?

Certainly yes on anything exposed to the great outdoors, but not
indoors. Its just not needed, and not really effective either. The
thing is to fix the damp problem. Only if you cant or wont for some
reason do chemicals then become important.

NT